Wednesday, May 19, 2004

The cats have gathered about me

I'm currently posting in front of a fire. I'm about to sit down to a couple of hours revision for my exam tomorrow - really just something to get my mind in gear for tomorrow morning. To get me into the essay writing kind of mood really, nothing too strenuous.

The crackle log is burning away and we kids are about to sit down for Daddy K to read us a story from The Gruesome Book of Horrid Tales From The Depths of Hell.

People should spend more time next to fires, they are lovely and extremely warm things. The only problem is I can feel myself being covered in insects that are most certainly drinking my blood with joy.

There were some form of protesters in town today trying to get signatures for their petition to get troops out of Iraq. My argument on the matter is this: The troops signed up to go to war - and to die for their duties so they knew what was coming. Saddam did terrible things to his own people and needed to be taken out and it is well possible his country was harbouring 'terrorists'. The troops that are there at this moment in time are needed there to provide domestic security for the country until Iraq's own security forces are ready. The country's power is going to be given back to the country and (if I'm mistaken on this I do apoligise) a provisional government will be in place which will organise a general election when the country is in a position to undertake a democratic election.

Some people really are too naive about things like this. We're trying to promote democracy and people in democratic states aren't willing to give undemocratic states their rights just because it means sacrificing something. Yes we shouldn't have gone to war with Iraq for the War on Terror but rather under the name of Democracy. It should have been stately most clearly why they were going to war - fuck oil and fuck terrorism.